Wednesday, June 10

June 10, 2009 - Obsession


Greetings and Salutations!

I had a very good friend tell me last week that I am thinking about being healthy too much. She is concerned that it is turning into an "obsession" (at least that is how I interpreted what she is saying). Of course, in typical Kristi form I analyzed what she said over and over and over again.


I cannot disagree with her that I think about how to be healthy ALL THE TIME. It probably is an obsession. As far as obsessions go, this is not necessarily a bad one as long as I do not take it overboard. I believe this obsession is rooted in my overwhelming fear of getting this far and reverting back to unhealthy habits.


For everyone else to understand what she is referring to let me give you an example of a typical day.

  • I get tweets constantly to my phone with affirmations and links to articles on healthy living topics.
  • I get emails of articles on healthy living topics.
  • Once a week I either see Dr. Pita or Dr. Pins and Needles.
  • Once a week I see Miss Tappity Tap or the Weight Loss Clinic Social Worker.
  • Once a week I see PT Bruiser.Right now, I am exercising 4-5 times a week insuring I get in at least 1550-1750 calories burned a week per my Polar Watch (last week it was closer to 2500).
  • I track my food, mood, and exercise in Sparkpeople or on a chart in my purse in order to stay on track.I listen to healthy living podcasts.
  • I Breath Walk every day (this can be accomplished by walking ANYWHERE).
  • I do the homework assignments given to me by Miss Tappity Tap or the Weight Loss Clinic Social Worker.

However, I also do the following:

  • Go to agility and flyball two days a week.
  • Practice and attend piano lessons.
  • Work on getting rid of stuff I do not need in the house.
  • Play with the dogs and cats.
  • Read for pleasure.
  • Practice my Spanish (I hope to go to Spain this fall).
  • Work at our family store (I squeeze in real work and exercise when I am there).
  • Work at my real job 40-50 hours a week.
  • Read articles and practice stuff that I need to learn for my career.
  • Go to "bad" dinners/lunches with friends.
  • Hang out with friends.
  • Insure that I sleep 8 hours a day.

So...in my defense I hardly call it an obsession, but I do see my friend's point. I think that whether she intended it or not, the point that should be taken is can I keep this up? I have no choice whether I want to or not.


Much like a recovering alcoholic, someone who is an overeater with the baggage that comes with it must remain vigilant. Doing this requires you to change as a person. I think in some cases your friends do not recognize you both physically and intellectually because the change is somewhat drastic. There is a reason that the divorce rate for those that have lost and kept weight off (especially bariatric surgery patients) is higher than the normal population (I read this somewhere).


The question still stands: have I gone overboard? I do not know. Only time will tell.
I can say this. I will fight, fight, fight to stay as healthy as I am today. I am actually working to be even healthier. I will remain vigilant so as to keep up the new life I am creating for myself.

So here is my lesson to everyone...

As you work to get healthier your friends and family may try to say that you are getting more selfish. Just remember that you need to take care of YOU first before you can take care of others. HOWEVER, this does not mean escaping from personal responsibilities. There is a fine line, but I truly do believe now that you can take care of your needs first and then the needs of others and both be better served.

Til Next Week,
Kristi

P.S. You will notice I went up a pound this week. It is water weight so I am not concerned about it. The biggest improvement I noticed this week is that I walked up 4 flights of stairs and was breathing normally!!!! Woo hoo!!!

The photo is of my sister's dog Zorra. I just love that photo and since she has a "determined" look I think it is a nice pic for this post.

Published to http://kristiasher.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Kathy Morton said...

I'm very proud of you Kristi and I wish that I could catch your "obsession." My doctor keeps telling me that I need to eat healthier, exercise more and lose weight. You would think that having a chronic/terminal heart ailment would be motivation enough, but sadly it isn't. Inertia and love of my bad habits rules my life. I find your blog inspirational and I hope that one of these days will get the kick in the pants that I need to get off my ass and start listening to the doc. Keep up the good work Kristi!

MissHollywoodJewelry said...

You deserve a gold medal for coming to your conclusions! A+++ all the way! You make me so proud!!!!

ave fénix que renace said...

What could be more important than being healthy and happy? Go Kristi!

How do you have enough time to sleep 8 hours a night?? I'm impressed!