Wednesday, October 1

October 1, 2008 - Grandpa said; "You are getting fat"


My paternal Grandfather was an interesting man and I loved him unconditionally. Through him I learned to: create and sing my own songs as I do my daily life chores; how to give a good pet a good scratch behind the ears; avoid hitting utility poles when the roads are icy; annoy my Mother; and various other life lessons.

There is one life lesson that I recently learned from him even though he passed on several years ago. He was the only person in my life who directly told me; "You are getting fat." I do not remember the exact date, but I was traveling and gone away from home for three weeks at a time. I had a dream job. My job was to train sales people how to use Microsoft Outlook and Windows NT. I went to places like Miami, Los Angeles, Virginia Beach, Clearwater, etc. It was an easy job with the best food I could eat. The time period was late 1998 or 1999.

I don't know when I started to gain weight. I did not have weight problems as a child or in college. Sometime after graduating college I started to get unhealthy (or unhealthier) - mentally and physically. I tried and took many medications to combat both problems which more-than-likely exacerbated both. As I go through and complete some scrapbooking projects this winter I will be able to look at pictures and see the progression of my gain.

The thing I now know is that as I lose weight, the weights look unfamiliar. I did not weigh myself all those years (over TEN YEARS). The doctor would weigh me, but I did not hear (or care) what the scale said. I could give the excuse that I had other greater concerns - a true statement. However, I am learning that being healthy is not about treating the symptoms (e.g. the blues, mysterious aches and pains, stomach problems). Being healthy is about taking care of me and me first. I must continue on a daily basis to eat healthy, forgive and reward myself, get proper exercise, etc. By accomplishing some of the basic necessities my symptoms are lessened or in some cases gone completely.

So, that day I sat next to Grandpa as he lay in his bed in the Nursing Home I heard what he said, but did not listen. So...

Grandpa, these first 46 pounds lost are for you..

Til Next Week,
Kristi

P.S. The picture is of my dog Sandy (the best dog EVER). This weekend is his favorite time of year. Canal Days in Metamora! He gets to sit with us all day and beg treats off of the tourists and the Corn Dog Man!

1 comment:

COL. Sam ASTA-fari Joe H. Pinkerton Peabody, Esq said...

Auntie, you are getting so skinny I can BARELY see you.....

I am only allowing you to say that Sandy is the best dog ever because he is top dog. But, surely, you must admit that I am at the very least 2nd on your list. And, I want to go to Metamora!!!