Tuesday, March 24

March 25, 2009 - Down in the Valley


Hello All,

Continuing last week's them of Peaks and Valleys, apparently I decided to dig a hole in the valley and climb right into it! I am having trouble with motivation and feeling overwhelmed. I think what I need to do is concentrate on only the bare necessities to get through this dip. Of course, one of the main necessities is doing everything I need to do to prepare for the Mini Marathon. It is taking me a lot longer to walk the miles that I need to, but I am getting out there and doing it most days.

Now, I do not necessarily think the author of Peaks and Valleys is referring to depression as a valley, but it did get me thinking about one of my favorite Podcasts of all time. It is part of The Moth storytellers series and is very amusing and poetic. You MIGHT still be able to get it on iTunes by subscribing to the the free The Moth podcasts, it should show in your list. The storyteller is Andrew Solomon who wrote; Noonday Demon. If you want to hear it and cannot get it, let me know.

Now, you should listen to the story on iTunes, but if you do not have time click here to read a transcript of the basic gist of the story of what happened when he attended a ndop. A ndop is a ceremony that is performed for people to make them feel better in Senegal. Senegal does not have a word for depression, but they obviously experience it in non-Western civilization as well.

In the iTunes story he goes on to explain that years later he is in Rwanda working on another book. There he learns they have a similar ceremony to make people feel better. Again, it involves sacrificing an animal, the people in the community dance around you, you are outside, and music is playing. All of these things are good for getting your heart pumping, and in essence feeling like you are part of the community. I am not going to ruin the punchline for you, but you get the gist of the story.

So, I have some questions for you:

*Does anyone have a Ram, 2 cockerels, and a couple of hens we could sacrifice?

*Where can I get millet?

*Do you think you could take the day off of work, come to my house and dance around me while I am covered in blankets with the ram?

*Anyone play tribal drums?


Let me know!

Kristi


Originally published to http://kristiasher.blogspot.com

2 comments:

COL. Sam ASTA-fari Joe H. Pinkerton Peabody, Esq said...

Well, auntie... we could sacrifice Katherine. She is worth at least a ram and 2 chickens. Then... there's Calvin.

I would be glad to dance around you and I am already here! It reminds me of my station in Burma. Ahh, the memories!

Kathy Morton said...

I don't have any of the required items, but I would gladly take a day off of work to join in the dancing! Although I must admit I haven't done much dancing since BU and Sulley's!