Thursday, January 29

January 28, 2009 - My Nemesis


Hello Bloggerland,

I blame Dr. Pita. I believe the power of suggestion made the problem much worse and he caused it! Before I get into the nitty gritty of the story, I must start at the beginning.

Last week, I had an appointment with Dr. Pita. The office was really busy and I had a deadline to meet at work. By the time Dr. Pita got into the office my leg was bouncing and I was “worked up.” Unfortunately, the energy from Dr. Pita was electric. I have a tendency when I am around people in that state I either start to spin out of control in my anxiety or shut down to save myself. For example, I sometimes have to plan where I sit in meetings because if I am already anxious I cannot sit next to a “leg bouncer.” My heart will start to race and I will be “crazy” by the end of the meeting.

Back to my story…

I am not sure exactly what started it, but we were talking about my EMDR appointments. He was speaking rather rapidly and was in a bit of a hurry. I began to shut down with the overload of his energy and my energy. I heard; “blah, blah, blah, you are going to have a hard time finishing the Mini Marathon if you do not learn how to Breath Walk or meditate while walking. She can help you with some of that.” Let me just note for the record, I am SURE that is not what he said, but that is what I HEARD.

For the next couple of days, I was in a funk and skeptical of my ability to not only train for the Mini Marathon, but to complete it. My mind likes to stay busy. I WANT to learn to meditate and perform Breath Walking effectively, but it does not happen overnight.

In the meantime, I am trying to muddle through my 1.5 mile every other day walks on the treadmill at the spa where I workout. Unfortunately, there is a HUGE clock outside the window (yes, it is the clock in the picture on this post). I tried really hard to ignore it by watching the TV on the treadmill and listening to music, but I was watching the clock and remembering what I “heard.”

This clock is obnoxious. First off, it is huge! Who can actually see this thing as they are driving down Washington Street? It is so big you can see the stupid clock tick the seconds. As Zorra says; “Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock.” It is mesmerizing in a very bad and evil way.

I needed a solution…

Late Friday evening I found a series of Podcasts called; BrainReady-BrainCasts. These Podcasts provide a series of visual imaging, logic, and math exercises. Perfect!!!

On Sunday, I took a walk with my sister and her three dogs*. As I listened to the BrainCasts, I walked along and visualized the images, solved the logic exercises, enjoyed the scenery, and did math. The walk was much more enjoyable.

I solved my problem! I found my solution! Woo Hoo…

That was, until today…

Unfortunately, the treadmill that is not right in front of the clock was taken, but I was not worried I had my MP3 player. I started the treadmill and chose my next BrainReady Podcast. Per usual, the show started out with health news and then began the visual imaging exercise. I am going to paraphrase what happened next…

“Imagine yourself in an open sandy area…

The ground is sandy and rocky…

It is about twilight…

Notice the purple and green sky…


Feel the slight breeze caressing your skin…

Smell the crisp air…

You turn and notice a large silver clock in the distance.”

Til Next Week,
Kristi

*Sam did not enjoy the walk.


Published to http://kristiasher.blogspot.com

No comments: