Thursday, July 9

July 8, 2009 - The Art of Taking Care of Self


Hello,

As you all know, it is not easy trying to be healthy. It is especially not easy if it is not inherent in us. For example, my friend tAmMY (I mentioned her before) normally eats healthy and gets the appropriate amount of exercise (MOST of the time). It is just what she does. She eats all the right things and takes care of herself.

Most of us however have a hard time with a healthy lifestyle. We might make excuses such as;

"Healthy food is too expensive."
"I do not have time to watch what I eat."
"I am too busy taking care of others."
"I am too busy at work."

Personally, I use all of the above excuses and many more. However, they are all a bunch of crap. It boils down to you are either going to do it or not. Make the decision and own it. For example, I did not feel like going to the gym on Tuesday. I told myself; "You are too busy at work today. You got a late start and need to get stuff done." At the end of the day on my "Daily Checklist of To Dos" I had to put a 'X' in the line for exercise. It was then that I owned my decision. I then had to say to myself; "You did not exercise today. You chose not to. Do it tomorrow." I did not beat myself up about it, it was in the past .. just did not do it.

Somedays it is that simple. I did workout Wednesday and noticed a difference in my mood. That was my reinforcement for why I do it.

It gets tricky when it lasts several days. That is when I need to look inside and see what the real reason is for not eating right and/or exercising. Sometimes, I need to call in reinforcements by reading my "What Works for Me", speaking to Miss Tappity Tap, the clinic Social Worker, or even fessing up to Dr. Pita about being lethargic. Sometimes, they are not available and there are even free resources that can help. Ultimately, the only one that is going to do it is ME.

Some of my friends and acquaintances say; "It has been easy for you because of blah, blah, blah." Again, bunch of crap. They have not seen the times I did overeat and then picked myself back up the next day. Or the time I really did not want to exercise, but did it anyway and cried all the way through it, but I did it.

I continue on because a fire developed deep inside. It was when I finally realized that I was worth it. Every day I stoke that fire.

Daily it is about investing in me so that the interest earned can be spent on the other things that matter in life, being there for others and experiencing all that life has to offer.


Til Next Week When I Probably Will Not Be So Preachy,
Kristi

Note: For those that read my blog via Facebook and RSS Feeds, you cannot keep up with my weight loss stats since I post them on the sidebar in my blog. So, I am wanted to let you know I am officially down 73 pounds. Woo Hoo! I have also lost 6 inches off of my waist since the 1st of November.

Published to http://kristiasher.blogspot.com

No comments: