Saturday, September 26

September 26, 2009 - Mill Race Race


Hello All,

Yes. I am actually posting an additional blog entry this week, because I want to fill you in on how my first "race" since the Mini turned out. In case you missed it, I added to my physical fitness goals to try to do a walk in every county in Indiana. No doubt this will take awhile to accomplish.

All of the races I previously took part in were in Marion County. So, I am seeking out races in other counties. Today, I took part in the Mill Race Race in Columbus.

I was a tad worried at the start line since I had not taken part in one in 4 months. I stretched and was ready to go. As normal, my goal was to finish. I always have a secondary goal of finishing no worse than second to last.

The walk traversed the city streets of Columbus and wound around through the absolutely beautiful Mill Race Park. I strongly recommend you walk the paths in this park, it is very nice and picturesque.

As I waited at the start line I decided to take an instant dislike to two ladies pushing strollers. I decided that my goal was to finish ahead of the stroller ladies. In order to do this I made sure to start ahead of them as well!

It wasn't long before we were at a marker that said '1'. I was very excited! I realized at the time that I could still do this. While I had not been on any walks longer than a couple of miles in a while, I still was not phased by the longer distances. I was psyched!!!

Until....

I hear a man tell his wife; "Well, in about 3 tenths of a mile we will be at mile 1." What?!?!?!?!?!?! Apparently, the '1' I saw was for the 15K. They started farther back than we did. Ugh!

I checked my watched and realized the first mile I did in about 16 minutes. I slowed down a tad as I felt that was too fast for my aching knee.

At about 2 miles the ladies pushing strollers passed me. That made me MAD! However, I said to myself; "You will catch up to them, just do not let them get too far ahead."

At this point I am working up a good sweat and am breathing relatively heavy. I was at the zone where I would not be able to hold a conversation. Of course, stroller lady 1 and 2 were just talking, talking, and talking to each other. Evil Kristi said to me; "I do not like them. They need to be quiet! No one cares that since they are not able to run they are not breaking a sweat."

I then hear behind me; "I am following the lady in the hot pink! She will not get lost." At this point we are in the deep woods of the park. Apparently, the lady fast approaching was taking part in her first 5K. She also has fibromyalgia. Good for her in doing the 5K! This did nothing for my self esteem though. She at one point told me to get moving as she was about to catch up to me!

At mile 2 I checked my watch and deducted that I was at an 18 minute mile. Okay, I decided I needed to kick it up just a little bit. And then...

A HILL! What?!?!? No one said anything about hills??!? (Moment of truth: It was actually an incline).

I get passed by two young girls ages approximately 10 and 7. Double ugh! They were also smiling. Triple ugh! I wanted to say; "Well, at least your parents cannot keep up with you either."

I made it to mile 3 and decided to let the stroller ladies finish before me. They probably would have broken down and had a rotten day if I ended up passing them (that's my story and I am sticking to it!).

At the end I found that this was the BEST RACE EVER! There was of course the normal free fruit and nuts. However, there was an extra special treat at the end of this one. Corn on the Cob - Oaxaca Style. You DEFINITELY need to try this at home.

All in all it was a great race. Of course, the two stroller ladies will never know how I kept them from having their self-esteem deflated.

Til Wednesday,
Kristi
Published to http://kristiasher.blogspot.com

No comments: